Since I have had Several comments asking me about Spammers invading their Pages, I thought I should spread this information. This is the Step by step Instructions on how to Block people on WordPress.
The following information was Taken from Chron (Hearst Newspapers, LLC). The Article is Titled” How to Block an Email in WordPress”. It was Written by David Weedmark.
1. Log in to your WordPress website using your admin username and password. Go to the WordPress Dashboard. Hover the cursor over “Settings” and select “Discussion” from the drop-down menu that opens. Scroll down the page to the Blacklist section of the Discussion page.
2. Type a full email address to block only that specific address, such as “email@example.com” (without quotation marks). Add any additional email addresses as needed. Every entry must be on a separate line.
3. Block all emails from a specific domain, if needed, by typing the domain name preceded by the “@” symbol, such as “@spammy.com.” This should only be used if you are certain no legitimate comments will be coming from that domain. For example, blocking popular email services like Gmail, Hotmail or Yahoo would block everyone using those accounts from commenting on your blog.
4. Look at the IP address below each username in the Comments page of the Admin panel. These are in the format “22.214.171.124.” Computer-generated spam can create different email addresses but often use the same IP address because it comes from the same computer. If you discover multiple spam comments with different email domains all use the same IP address, copy this IP address and paste it in a separate line in the Blacklist field.
5. Blacklist comments regardless of what email address they come from by adding words to the Blacklist field that will only appear in spam comments. For example, if you don’t discuss pharmaceuticals on your website, you could blacklist words containing drug brands if you are getting a lot of spam comments using those words.
Tip: You can also opt to add words, email addresses and IP addresses in the “Comment Moderation” field located above the Blacklist field. These will not be blacklisted but will not be published on your blog until you approve them.
Citation: Weedmark, David. “How to Block an Email in WordPress.” Small Business – Chron.com, http://smallbusiness.chron.com/block-email-wordpress-66542.html. Accessed 05 April 2019.
Help, WordPress has blocked me from my Blog! Why did this Happen? Can I get it Reversed? Don’t Worry, I found the Resolution.
How to Unblock Your IP Address in WordPress
If you’re a WordPress user, chances are you’ll need to unblock your IP address at some point or another. This can be quite frustrating for users, especially those not familiar with the nuts and bolts of how the web works. Today, we’re going to explain why you were blocked and exactly what steps to take to unblock your IP Address in WordPress.
What Is an IP Address Anyway?
To put it simply, an ‘IP’ or Internet Protocol Address is the number that identifies your device when it’s connected to the internet. It’s generally given to you by the Internet Service Provider (ISP) you’re connected to at any given time. It also has a habit of changing when you reset hardware, connect to different Wi-Fi networks and sometimes for no reason at all.
Why Did My IP Address Get Blocked?
While it’s can be frustrating, IP Address blocking is an essential part of WordPress security. It typically happens after several incorrect login attempts. At times, other factors such as outdated cookies etc. in your web browser; or even an IP address assigned to you by your ISP – can cause the block to happen. The reason for this is that these factors can also be signs that someone is trying to hack your digital property and IP Address blocks are the fastest way of stopping them in their tracks.
Who Can Unblock it?
To unblock a blocked IP, a login needs to be made from a different IP address. To do this, you can either:
Ask a friend or colleague to sign in from a different network and unblock you
You can get tricky and use a different IP Address, log yourself in and unblock your other IP Address
If you’re planning on unblocking your account yourself, here’s what you’ll need to do. First, if you’re at home or work in a small office, typically all the devices on your Wi-Fi and wired network will have the same IP Address allocated to them by your internet provider.
That means your desktop, laptop, iPad, etc. will all be blocked while connected to that network.
The easiest way to get online with another IP:
– Disconnect your phone from your home’s Wi-Fi
– Turn on your phone’s hot spot
– Connect your computer to your phones Wi-Fi (or wired) hotspot
This will allow you to browse the web using your phone’s 3G/4G IP Address, which is different to your Wi-Fi router’s IP Address. If you’re not sure how to turn on ‘hot-spot’ functionality it’s really easy – for iPhone users, for Android users.
The Solution – How to Unblock Your IP Address in WordPress
Now that either yourself or a colleague is able to log-in jump into your account. Once in your WordPress account:
1) Bottom left of the screen, find WP Security. Click on this to go to the WP Security Dashboard.
2) On the WP Security Dashboard, click the tab at the top: “Locked IP Addresses”:
3) Here you will see a list of IP addresses that have been locked. Typically, you can find your IP address based on the Date and Username that was used when attempting to login. You can then tick it and choose to unlock it in the drop down.
And that’s all there is to it. If you’re consistently experiencing issues it may be a symptom of a broader security or infrastructure issue with your website.
This information’s Citation
Citation: Shelley , Ryan. “How to Unblock Your IP Address in WordPress.” Pepper IT, 1 June 2017, www.pepperit.com.au/unblock-your-ip-address-in-wordpress/ .
All the above was taken directly from, “How to Unblock Your IP Address in WordPress.” This Article was written by, Ryan Shelley. If you would like to see the rest of the Article, please click on the following Link. https://www.pepperit.com.au/unblock-your-ip-address-in-wordpress/
I hope that this information helps you fight them Pesky Spammers and in Recovering your Blog when it has been Blocked from you. If you enjoyed this Post, Please Leave a Comment. 🙂 If you think that others might benefit from this Post, please be sure to Share it on your Social Media and Twitter feeds.
If you haven’t already done so, I would suggest Subscribing to my Blog via the Subscribe option on my Main page. You can also Follow me on my Twitter account. https://twitter.com/angereimer1